Monday, January 28, 2008

KWAME KILPATRICK'S COS RESIGNS

Christine Beatty announced this morning that she will resign her position as Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's chief of staff.

The mayor's office received the letter today and made it public.

In the letter, Beatty said it is "clear that I can no longer effectively carry out the duties of chief of staff.


"Therefore, this letter serves as my resignation effective Feb. 8, 2008 to allow for an orderly transition of my duties with the new chief of staff," she said.

"I painfully regret the devastation that the recent reports have caused to the citizens of Detroit, to my co-workers to the mayor's family and to my family and friends."

Beatty, Kilpatrick's chief of staff and an old friend from high school, has been the center of a sexual scandal involving her and the mayor. Both Kilpatrick and Beatty swore under oath in an earlier trial that they have never been involved in an affair. However, scores of text messages between Beatty and Kilpatrick -- dating back to 2002 -- seem to contradict their denials.

No comments: