Wednesday, April 16, 2008

ALICIA KEYS SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT

Alicia Keys claims that she was "misinterpreted" in a recent article where she blamed the U.S. government for the creation of gangsta rap and the deaths of Tupac and the Notorious B.I. G.

“After reading the piece in the new issue of Blender, Keys insists her comments were ‘misinterpreted’ and she’s ‘disappointed’ with the ‘madness’ surrounding the article.Keys explained, ‘I feel that I wasn’t a hundred per cent clear on what I was saying and so, because of that, it got slightly misinterpreted, and somehow it got misinterpreted that I was saying that the government was creating gangsta rap - and that’s not what I was saying. What I was saying was that the term gangsta rap was so over sloganised during that time… That’s what I was trying to talk about. In so many ways, everyday people, as well as the government, could have really done so much more to sorta (sic) obliterate and eradicate the things that were going on in the communities at that time that forced the artists to discuss and talk about, so strongly, what they saw, what they lived with.
“I don’t regret doing this interview; overall it was a great article. It was merely a line or two that has provoked all of this madness. I regret that a negative spin has been put (on it).”

No comments: