Friday, May 22, 2009

JAY-Z A FREE MAN

Jay-Z has officially parted ways with his home for more than a decade, Def Jam. On Thursday morning - Hov who owed Def Jam one last album — bought himself out of his contract for $5 million.


On Thursday afternoon, Jay contacted RapRadar.com and confirmed his departure.

"I can honestly say, working with Doug Morris and L.A. Reid has been a unique and fulfilling experience, and I respect them immensely," Hov told the Web site. "I've been in the family for almost my entire career. Doug and I spoke directly and had one of the most unique 'negotiations' ever."

Jay said that negotiation included a coin toss. "Doug won the toss, but we both won in the end," Jay said. "I thank him for allowing me to be a completely independent artist. Not every artist can say they own or are given the opportunity to own all of their music."

In February, Jay joked that he was too free in making his latest opus.

"If I don't have any time constraints, I'll mess around, I'll never get it done," he said. "I'll be Axl Rose out here! It'll be 12 years later, and we'll be talking about Chinese Democracy. I really like the [time constraints]. But whatever happens, [the album] may turn out better, 'cause it'll be done when it's right."

No comments: